Monday 5 December 2011

Evaluation Question: How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

The combination of the main product and ancillary texts has been very effective by using the power of imagery.

I have chosen to use the same image on my album cover as the magazine advert. This is so that viewers can recognize my artists iconic image so that they don't have to spend hours browsing for Arty's album in a store but instead can instantly spot him by the way he looks. The image I have decided to is very iconic it uses a lot of elements that you would expect to see in an Electropop genre. For example I have decided to use dark glasses , clothes for clubbing and a unusual pose which represents funky yet classy style. This continuity all adds to the effect of a image motif for my artist. In the video I allowed people to concentrate on the unique style of James in the video by splitting the video into four sections so you could get a full view of the type of clothing he wears.


Another way in which my product and ancillary texts combine together is in the way that the information is linked. For instance, on my magazine advert I displayed the date Arty's album is released and why you should buy it. On the album cover work I provided a mini biography so people can find out more about Arty and the pictures used on the album tells the audience what kind of person he is. Finally, the main product shows that Arty is a comical yet human person through the way which things are done in the music video like getting water chucked over him. When combined together they all advertise a certain aspect about the artist which combines to give an overall fan base effect because you feel like you are getting to know someone you can admire.


On all the pages of my album work, music video and the magazine advert Arty's name is mentioned. This helps the viewers to remember the artists name and think about him and his work. I have chosen to use a close-up on the last page on my booklet so that viewers can get a better look at the artist in order to recognize him more easily. The photo on this page is fairly simple in black and white to show that he is a normal person just like everyone else. This combines well with the writing on the page which is in a funky font because it reminds the viewers what type of genre Arty's music is and it shows he wants the fans to recognize that he knows this.


Looking at the back cover. I have chosen to incorporate a barcode in order to show the product is genuine and not a fake. I have also added legal and label information at the bottom to warn of copyright infringement  and the rights the record label holds. The record label is clearly displayed in order to promote the company that is responsible for Arty. There is also a link to Arty's personal website so that if the viewer wants to find out more they are not restricted and can go directly to the page. The information on this page is very colourful which combines and links to the front cover which shows lots of coloured lights being displayed on the background behind Arty. This helps the audience to understand that Arty's music is all about having fun and letting go of the things that trouble you which Arty's iconic image also promotes.


Talking about the main image image of my product now I think that the main product and ancillary texts help to build a cohesiveness of what the album is about so that when you listen to Arty's music you know what he is talking about. I showed this on my ancillary text my making James surrounded in flames with the word heat coming out of the flames. I made this cohesive with the music video when a beating effect comes into place in the video when James wakes up to show the audience that James is being heavily influenced by the heat of the room. This helps the audience to understand the song is about Arty burning up inside and not just merely heat itself. 

A good example of cohesiveness in real media texts is the band Gorillaz, in particular their album 'Demon Days'. This shows the four members of the band all portrayed as demons. This is not only cohesive with their album name 'Demon Days' but also their music videos for the album which show the band as cartoon demons who want to be free and different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment