Monday 5 December 2011

Evaluation Question: In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My music video uses many conventions of real media products. One of the conventions it uses is the idea of a traditional boy and girl relationship in order to relate to the audience and create an emotional and funny narrative. In my music video I decided to cast James and Karima because my audience research told me that having a boy and girl narrative would make the music video seem more realistic and exciting. This relates to the David Guetta video 'Love is Gone' where at the start of the video we are shown a beginning scenario where the woman is breaking up with her boyfriend. I have chosen to do the same thing in my video but with the camera seeing things from James perspective unlike in the David Guetta video where it is focused on the woman.


This links into post-moderinism which says that everything cannot be explained and that nothing is set in stone. My video incorporated this idea by showing James as a mentally unstable character (through his disturbing dreams) whereas in the past men have been shown as strong and unbreakable. We also challenged typical environments used in Electropop. For instance, in most pop music video it features at least one scene in a club with people dancing or doing crazy things. For example in the music video 'I got a feeling' by the Black Eyed Peas it shows the group painting themselves in illumanitive paint which lights up in the dark. In my video I challenged this stereotype of pop music videos featuring scenes in clubs or with people dancing and instead chose to do something simple yet effective.




Linking back to my original research on Electropop videos. I still decided to incorporate the idea of Electropop videos being a bit mysterious. For instance, In the analysis of the Nero video it showed that the woman was going against her superiors by not taking her medicine making her stand out from everyone else. In my video I used the idea of Karima disappearing as something that couldn't be explained and going against the laws of science.








In my music video and ancillary texts I also developed conventions of real media products. One of the conventions I developed is the idea of dreams. For example in the famous music video 'Bring me to life'  by Evanescence. It shows the lead singer Amy Lee asleep dreaming that she is on the outside of a building. The music video only shows a couple times at the beginning that she is dreaming and mainly concentrates on the narrative involving her and her boyfriend. I have developed this concept so that the video is constantly feeding back to James when he is asleep to remind people that it is a dream. This helps people to focus on the story line and therefore understand the song better since my video is highly diegetic and synchronised.  I have also added blur and worm hole effects when transitioning to the dream. I chose to do this because unlike in the Evanescence video the scenery changes a lot and things happen much faster to keep up with the pace of the video so the viewer may get lost about what the video is about. By feeding clips of James asleep on his bed into the video I am reminding viewers about what the music video is about through the power of repetition.



My music video also challenges the texts of real media products. One example of this is the convention of the man being shown as the alpha-male while the woman is shown as a femme fatale. You see this done a lot of time in films. One recent example of this is in the film Thor where the man is shown as the muscular person who saves his girlfriend from his evil brother. Even when it looks like all hope is lost he is still shown as the fearless warrior. My video challenges this stereotype by showing James as the mentally weaker person who is struggling to deal with the stress of his girlfriend breaking up with him. I chose to do the music video like this because it brings to the surface the fact that the male is not always the stronger person.

No comments:

Post a Comment