Wednesday 7 December 2011

Evaluation Question : What have you learnt from your audience feedback?

Now having finished my music video I decided it was time to find out what other people thought about it. So I asked my friends to each complete a questionnaire tell me what they thought about the video.

On a whole people gave my video 8/10 which I am very pleased considering I am a amateur and I am working on my own. People said that they enjoyed a narrative that fitted with the lyrics of the song and that me changing the pace of the video to match the speed of the song was a very smart thing to do. They also enjoyed the fact I made Karima stalk James from behind on a slope since the below-eye camera angle made her look more superior than James.

Relating to the Discourse theory some of my audience didn't respond in the way I expected them to. For instance, when I asked them if they liked the locations I filmed in lots of people were happy that I didn't film in a club because it would look to unoriginal. Yet these music videos have millions of views on the web and in the previous questionnaire many people said they preferred unoriginal ideas. In addition, people asked for more shots of James whereas Eletropop videos have typically been focused on the male gaze showing lots of camera time on the female.

Looking directly at the comments nearly all the people were passive spectators. This means they acepted the idea of the boy/girl love story and didn't question what I was trying to portray in the video. I was a bit upset from this because I would have prefered if people had been more critical about the narrative of the film and tryed to challange the plot.

The bad. People said that sometimes the camera was a bit shaky and that more close-ups of James could have been used. One person suggested we could have filmed in a club but then later agreed this would be problematic with getting permission from the owners. Another person said "you should of had James perform a funky dance". Unfortunately James doesn't like to dance on camera and I also felt that going too over the top with comical moments would ruin the mood of the song.

Reflecting on the audience research I did before I made the video I can see that people's views on what they wanted had changed once they actually watched my video. People who originally thought that the narrative wasn't too important changed their minds and said that if I hadn't added props like the thermostat and speech bubbles they may have not got what the music video was about. Comparing the two questionnaire results side by side then I can see that people's views on what makes a good music video do not only change according to the genre but also the lyrics and pace of the video.  For instance, a comment I got from my friend Jaypal was that "A Kid Cudi or Dizzie Rascal style video probably wouldn't have worked here since the pace of Arty's music sometimes slows down for long periods of time while theirs stays the same so the fast paced scenes they use in their videos may not have worked here". I think this is an important point to recognize that every piece of music which although may fit into genre's of other pieces of music is unique in itself and so to make a good music video you must adapt to that uniqueness.

The verdict. On a whole I am pleased with the feedback from my friends since even though it wasn't perfect the video didn't come out as a complete shambles.

No comments:

Post a Comment